Some thoughts about the SX230HS

Started Aug 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,136Gear list
Like?
Re: Some thoughts about the SX230HS
In reply to 1dash1, Aug 12, 2012

I haven't totally given up on the ZS15 as I still have a spare battery and the Panasonic plug in battery charger - the real one, not that USB thing they supply. If I find one cheap enough, I may just get one to use with the battery and charger. Otherwise, I'm stuck with them.

I'm used to the Canon controls from other cameras, so that's not an issue. And I like having access to sharpening, contrast, saturation and color adjustments in My Colors, and flash exposure compensation is also nice to have.

With the Flip-bac grip added, and the ring added around the control wheel on the rear, the ergonomics of the SX230HS match the ZS15, Although, I did add a ring to the rear of my ZS15, and added a strip of black Velcro to the front grip to gain still more grip, and to keep the thick of my thumb off the rear control cluster. It was designed for the S90/95; but is a perfect fit for the SX230HS and the ZS15, and I use one on my FZ150.

Style wise, the ZS15 has it all over the Canon.

I did run a little experiment on the yellow-green cast that the ZS15 often shows. Kicking up the blue compensation in the WB fine tuning does a nice job of improving the color. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on AWB - you can't fine tune that. But with a little fine tuning of WB and use of i resolution; the shots OOC are quite good.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow