Started Aug 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FauxMho
Junior MemberPosts: 42Gear list
Like?
G1X long exposures - problems with CR2 raw file
Aug 12, 2012

I've been testing out my G1X on long exposure night shots lately (including for the Perseids - pay attention W5JCK, I think you're seeing the same problem), and I'm seeing a strange issue with the CR2 file. I usually shoot on RAW+JPG and I use Apple Aperture for my workflow. I first noticed this problem in Aperture, where my long exposure night shots looked just terrible :

Switching over to use the JPG as the master in Aperture yielded much better results:

So far, no amount of tweaking in Aperture has resulted in the RAW file looking at all correct.

Opening the CR2 file with Apple Preview and Pixelmator (I don't have Lightroom...) gives the same terrible result as Aperture.

Opening the CR2 in DPP - beautiful night shot! So the CR2 file isn't corrupt or inherently terrible.

Given that Aperture, Preview, and likely Pixelmator are using the same base code inside OS X to do the RAW conversion, I suspect this may be the key issue there. However, I'm curious if anyone else has seen this problem (W5JCK?)? On a non-OSX machine?

More importantly, has anyone found and/or can recommend a solution?

FauxMho's gear list:FauxMho's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow