Started Aug 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
W5JCK
Contributing MemberPosts: 664Gear list
Like?
Perseid Meteor Shower 2012 with Canon Powershot G1X
Aug 12, 2012

I set up my Canon Powershot G1X last night and took a series of 200+ photos over a period of 1-1/2 hours (from apprx. 01:15 to 02:45 CDT) in Arlington, Texas. Unfortunately I live in a large metro with a huge amount of urban light pollution. So it was difficult to get good shots but I used the CR2 (RAW) images and post processed heavily in Photoshop CS6. I have to say I'm very impressed with the G1X's ability to record so much information for night sky photography in a well lit city!

Here are two images from the first meteor I captured. The first is a 100% crop of the meteor. It has not been reduced, just cropped. The second is the full size image.

• Camera: Canon Powershot G1 X

• Azimuth: Pointing apprx. 50 deg (NE) with camera tilted upwards at about 40 deg.

• Exposure: 20 seconds

• Speed: ISO-200

• Aperture: f/5.6

• Focal Length: 15mm (the equivalent of 28mm on 35mm film or 17mm on APS-C)

I captured two other meteors and will add those image once I process them.
--

An astrophotography hobbyist and amateur radio instructor and examiner. Canon EOS T1i and Canon Powershot G1 X. http://www.w5jck.com

W5JCK's gear list:W5JCK's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC +8 more
Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3) Canon PowerShot G1 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow