Snakes in Bangladesh, up close (how many can you ID?)

Started Aug 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Neeyon
Contributing MemberPosts: 972Gear list
Like?
Snakes in Bangladesh, up close (how many can you ID?)
Aug 12, 2012

I have spent quite a bit of time in Bangladesh over the past couple of years for work purposes, and so have been lucky enough to experience some fairly off-the-beaten-track aspects of this fascinating country. Recently a colleague suggested that I visit a Bede village on the outskirts of the capital, Dhaka.

To give you the background, the Bede people are a semi-nomadic tribe of river gypsies whose livelihood depends on everything snake-related: snake handling and performances, venom extraction, snake breeding, snake removals / relocations etc. etc. These guys get up-close and personal with all manner of snakes and are absolutely fearless. So just thought I'd share a few pics of the visit.

Just for fun, I thought I'd put out a bit of a challenge to see if anyone can identify all the species pictured (6 in total)...

Pics taken with A55 and either Tamron 18-270 PZD or Sony 50 F1.8. C&C welcomed as I'm always looking to improve.

Our host for the day with the first batch of snakes:

Colourful little guy:

Now we're getting steadily to the more venomous end of the spectrum...

This was about the point where things started to get interesting...

Trying to get a cobra's eye view of the world...

I've been spotted...

Finding myself at the "sharp" end

Neeyon's gear list:Neeyon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Sony SLT-A55 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM +1 more
Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow