Started Aug 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pjcard2002
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Resizing Images
Aug 12, 2012

Search is down, so if I've repeated a recent thread I apologise.

I found this thread:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1006&message=40188234

Which described exactly what I'd only just noticed, that my photos all look soft in windows photo viewer and oversharp in IE (but I'd take the oversharp ones over tge soft ones any day!)

It seems odd to me that photo viewer does such a poor job of viewing photos (or is it subjective? Do some people like their photos all looking soft?). But as my android tablet renders the images without the softness of viewer and also without the artefacts of IE I can at least still enjoy viewing them without having to process them all.

Of course, if I want people to look at them, I now realise that sending the originals is a bad idea. So my question (there is one!) is how to best resize the photos, what form of interpolation to use? Playing with gimp, I've found no interpolation seems to produce an exact copy if the IE rendering, but can produce artifacts on some images. Sinc seems to produce a good result, but I wonder what other people use to produce there images? At 100% the images I take appear nicely sharp, so I don't think a blanket use of an unsharp filter is strictly necessary, just a careful choice of scaling method.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow