650D: Disadvantage of replacing bad rubber grips? Locked

Started Aug 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Christoph Stephan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,655Gear list
Re: 650D: Disadvantage of replacing bad rubber grips?
In reply to mpjohans, Aug 11, 2012

I think you should phone the service or contact your seller centre and tell them the dilemma you are in, and ask whether they can either:
1. replace the camerea with another with no waiting time
2. Take the camera and repair it after you came back from the holiday.

mpjohans wrote:

Hello All,

So yesterday I received my 650D/T4i. Which of course turned out to have the rubber grip problem. (As a heads-up, European Amazon still ships these...)

So now I'm torn between sending it back, or have it fixed. I'm going on vacation this Saturday, and would very much like to bring my first dSLR on the trip. If I send it back for repairs, I can do that after the trip. If I send it back for replacement, I will be without it on the trip, as it would have to be sent back unused.

Does anyone see a disadvantage of having the rubber grip replaced? I guess the camera wouldn't be affected in any other way? I'm not worried about resell value, I'm pretty sure I'll stick with the camera until it breaks or is lost anyway : -)

So pretty much just looking for reassurance that there's no real drawbacks in having Canon repair it. Grateful for any comments!

Christoph Stephan's gear list:Christoph Stephan's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +1 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow