Why is playback zoom so slow and clunky on the RX100?

Started Aug 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jkuo
Regular MemberPosts: 187
Like?
Why is playback zoom so slow and clunky on the RX100?
Aug 11, 2012

Today, I was trying out the HX30V at an electronics store just out of curiosity to see how it compared to the RX100 I recently bought, and I was quite surprised to find out that when I took a shot and tried to play back the image on the rear LCD, it was much more responsive to zooming and panning than on the RX100. On the RX100, zooming into a picture always annoyed me a bit, because it would seem to always take almost a full second to respond to the initial touch of the zoom lever, and when it finally displays the enlarged image, it starts off at such a high magnification level, that I always have to zoom back out to see more of the picture that I just took. With the HX30V, the delay to the initial zoom command was just barely noticeable, and it starts off just a little zoomed in and then allows you to zoom in further from there as you hold the lever to the magnification level you want, which seems like a much more intuitive way to go about it. What's more, the actual zooming in and panning around was just so much quicker and MUCH MUCH smoother than on the RX100, which only does so in very sluggish, discrete steps in comparison. You have really got to try both cameras to appreciate the difference.

So the question is why is there such a big difference between the two, considering that the RX100 costs considerably more and is designed to be a "premium" compact? I would have expected the playback and review controls between them to be at least very similar in both function and performance, if not better on the RX100. Anyone else notice this?

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow