Sigma 50-150 OS - observations and samples

Started Aug 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
victorian squid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,826Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks for your observations and samples!
In reply to motobloat, Aug 11, 2012

Hope everything works out for your pooch on Tuesday! Sounds like it's not anything a very expensive procedure can't take care of.

I too was concerned about the noise of the OS after hearing so many complaints. Honestly, I think anybody else wouldn't be able to hear it - I'd say it's 50% of the shutter volume if that. Part of it is that you can feel it, so that makes it seem louder, just like the vibration in a game pad. But as far as hearing it once it's activated - you have to make an effort.

The HSM is really quiet, you have to try to listen for it. The little focus verification beep I have turned on is far louder. Just a slight whirring noise. There are many noisier systems out there.

Of course I'm making the assumption that the 70-200 and 50-150 are identical in that regard, I don't see why they wouldn't be.

I think I've gotten used to the absolute silence of the 17-50. Once I got the Tamron 70-300 I got used to the clunking noise of the VC, so the Sigma seems right in line with that. I remember from handling the Canon teles that the IS in those has a slightly higher pitch, but don't remember feeling it. Then again, it was on somebody else's camera.

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow