Anyone out there using 5D3 + new Tamron 24-70/2.8 combo?

Started Aug 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Picturenaut
Regular MemberPosts: 323Gear list
Like?
Re: MA on 5DM3
In reply to iShootWideOpen, Aug 11, 2012

Got my second copy of this Tamron yesterday eve in a local shop, and this one performs quite nicely. Just strolled around in Frankfurt and played with it. Here's a demo how impressively well its VC (IS in Canon talk) works impressively well, made this shot hand held with 1/5 s

Tamron 24-70 vs Canon 24-70 II is a real trade-off. You're right, IshootWideOpen, the Tamron is a bit soft wide open and it also produces heavy vignetting throughout all lengths. But at about f=4 it starts to be quite sharp and vignetting is well controlled. Another drawback is its strong pillar distortion @ 24 mm, but its getting quickly okay with a slight shift to a bit longer length. I expect the new Canon II to perform better optically.

Ultrasonic drive of the Tamron is nice but not the quickest, and here I expect the biggest advantage of the new Canon in real life shooting. On the other side it misses IS, and Tamron's decend VC supports well handheld shots with slow shutter speed. Plus, the mechanical quality of the Tamron is really good, of course plastic (no Zeiss feel!), much much better than e.g. my EF-S 17-55/2.8 (too easy moving lens tube etc.).

So a FF user has to decide whether a better optical performance, a superior AF performance and no IS is worth a double price. I'll try now the Tamron for a while, since such a standard zoom is not the most important lens for me anyway. For really good wide angle shots I prefer my Zeiss glass and for action/ tele shots I prefer my Canon L lenses.

Many thanks again for sharing your experience and thoughts about this lens with me :-).
--
Picturenaut

Picturenaut's gear list:Picturenaut's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow