Europe with D700/24-70

Started Jul 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
sjprintz
Regular MemberPosts: 382Gear list
Like?
Re: Europe with D700/24-70
In reply to wcowan, Aug 11, 2012

I have been to Europe many times with family and with my wife. I do find that carry a heavy pack of lenses around, especially when walking around all day, is a "PITA."

Also, non-photographers tend to get annoyed if you are always changing lenses (at least my family gets that way.)

So based on what you have, I would take the 24-70. It will cover the ranges you need. I don't see much need for a telephoto lens. There will be an occasion but you are covered for 95+% of the photo ops. I used by 17-55mm on a D300 during most of my travels and did not feel I missed many shots.

Churches and museums are poorly light so a fast prime is not a bad idea. The 50 may be too long for most of the scenes, however. Also, when I was in Rome, a wide angle was very helpful for photographing the coliseum. I used my 10-24mm for that.

Also, I would bring a tripod because the shots at dusk can be fabulous but it is too dark to hand hold.

sjprintz's gear list:sjprintz's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow