Using Grey Frame Ref Shot as Custom WB

Started Aug 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
entlassen
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
Re: Using Grey Frame Ref Shot as Custom WB
In reply to Graystar, Aug 11, 2012

Oh, nice, I never knew that Nikon cameras disable focus for you when measuring for d0. Can't find them mentioning this in the manual (they only say "white balance can be measured accurately even when the camera is not in focus" on p. 154). Can't wait to try it out.

I didn't know that it overexposes your grey reference by 1 EV either (looks like they sneaked that in there on p. 150 of the manual, without actually explaining the reason for it, which you say is noise-reduction). So if I'm in aperture priority and am in the process of setting d0, the shutter speed will automatically decrease such that I'll be at +1 EV compared to normal. I wonder if the exposure meter in the viewfinder will always show up as +1 EV to indicate to me that this is occurring, or it'll simply read as 0 EV. Hmm, I'll have to check it out.

Anyway, I think I have a pretty good understanding of this topic now. Thanks again for the help!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow