cam body damage when using harnesses?

Started Aug 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Chuck Lantz
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,871Gear list
Like?
Re: cam body damage when using harnesses?
In reply to Boxbrownie, Aug 10, 2012

Thanks for the replies. Good stuff there.

Since most harness makers include either a tripod screw plate or small lug meant to be attached to the bottom of the camera body, and usually include product photos that include a large lens, I would have thought the question about potential damage to the camera body would have been researched.

The comments about using either the strap connection points, or the lens tripod attachment point, make the most sense. The only difference when using the tripod point is that the camera and lense will be horizontal when carried, which might be a problem in an area crowded with other shooters. To solve that issue, I may try using a secondary strap, attached at the camera tripod mount, but loose enough to not carry all the weight - which would be carried by the lens tripod mount - but simply to pull the lens into vertical. Hope that makes sense.

I recently purchased one of the Opteka MCH-25 chest holsters, which solves most of that problem by carrying one or two cameras and zooms close to the body, but I haven't had a chance to field test it yet. That, too, uses the camera tripod lug as a mounting point, though the lens lug can be used, though that raises the body higher in the holster, which puts a lot of torque on the holster lug itself. Since the camera and lens are carried right next to the body, the MCH-25 would probably prevent some of the torque twisting of the camera at the lug.

Maybe it's time to hire a small assistant with a strong back who works cheap?

And to all those who are reading these posts ten or twenty years from now, with your state-of-the-art mini-camera that has a perfect 10mm-800mm zoom built into your full-frame, 3D, 1000fps camera body, which is the same size - and weighing less - than a cell phone, please stop laughing at us relics.

Chuck Lantz's gear list:Chuck Lantz's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-Z1080 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D2X Sigma SD9 Sigma SD14 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow