RX100 quick impressions (hey, some NEX users care!)

Started Jul 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
andye53
Senior MemberPosts: 1,159
Like?
Re: Sent my RX100 back for refund...
In reply to Tapper123, Aug 10, 2012

I love my NEX, but as small as it is (I've posted a photo of it in my jeans pocket a while back, with the 18-55 mounted) it's too big to have with me at all times. I just received my RX100 yesterday, and I seriously think I should sell the 5N.

For me, the RX100 is much more versatile. I only have the 16mm 2.8 and the 18-55 for my 5N. With the RX100, I have a 28-72 f1.8 - 4 lens (yes it's at f4 at 72mm equivalent), the ability to zoom to 100mm at f4.9 is just a bonus. I'm over pixel peeping years ago, and at normal view they're equal. In fact I think the RX100's lens is sharper than what I have for the 5N. I'm really blown away by the RX100.

I might try the Sigma 19mm for my 5N before I decide to sell it.

Tapper123 wrote:

I think the rx100 is amazing. But after 2 weeks I decided it just wasn't the right camera for me. I enjoy using my NEX much more, and given my poor eyesight, really missed the articulating screen. Without a VF or articulating screen, I find it hard to compose shots. Plus, as good as the rx100 is, I still find the IQ of the NEX to be better.

Lastly, the price was just too high for a camera that I might not use that much. I'm NOT saying it's too expensive -- for people whom it is the right camera for, it is not. Just in my case, it isn't worth it. I'd rather put that money toward some new NEX lenses this Fall, and save toward a higher end body for next year.

Having said all that, again I want to reiterate that the rx100 is amazing, and I would encourage anyone who values pocketability and IQ to try one.

-- hide signature --

SONY TX1O | HX9Vee | NEX-FiveN

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow