I would like a less expensive 400mm f/4.

Started Aug 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JackM
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,585Gear list
Like?
I would like a less expensive 400mm f/4.
Aug 10, 2012

I'm loving my 5D3, but I'm fearing that I will need more reach for soccer season now that my only camera is full frame (sold 7D and 5D2 to get it). I have a 70-200/2.8II, and I think I will probably get "enough" keepers by waiting for the play to come close to me, but this got me to thinking that this is a hole in both Canon and Nikon lens lineups.

Once you get to a 70-200/2.8, there is almost nowhere to go from there without selling a kidney, or going full time pro, if you want a longer lens faster than f/5.6. The only reasonable choice is a 1.4x TC, and that's not a whole lot more reach. A 300/4 wouldn't be worth the $900 premium over the TC, and a 400/4 DO IS is as prohibitively expensive as a 300/2.8.

I wonder if a "budget" 400/4L could be made without IS, without DO, and without the latest unobtanium bits, say for about $1800.

Or maybe I should just make use of the fact that my 5D3 is about 2 stops better than my old 7D, and shut up and get a 400/5.6L or 100-400L. Still, I'd like the DOF of f/4. Oh well.

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +6 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow