Hans Bolte
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390Gear list
Like?
Re: Repair info
In reply to Bruce Hunter, Aug 10, 2012

What was the actual error message?

Bruce Hunter wrote:

Hello Gail,

I'm sorry to hear about your S100 lens error problem. I ordered my S100 in Nov. 2011 and received it on Dec. 3rd. Like yourself, I was extremly pleased with the camera. Then, on March 17th , after approx. 3000 photos taken, ...out of nowhere, it seemed.... I got the dreaded lens error .

The S100 is my 4th Canon compact (others ... SD700 , SD870, S90 ) and the first one to give me any trouble. ( over 25,000 photos with the S90, already ) .

After calling Canon customer service, I mailed my S100 to the repair center in Va. ( or maybe W.Va. ) .....and I will say that the customer service was excellent. I received confirmation when my camera was received and my camera was repaired and returned to me , as promised, within 7 working days.

I should add that my S100 was one with the "bad" serial numbers (3020 first 4 digits ) Also, the night I got the error, I was shooting outside and had taken about 25 shots, when after taking the last shot , I pressed the on/off button to shut the camera down , when the screen went dark and the error message came on the screen.

It was not raining when I was taking the photos but it was damp and it had been raining earlier in the evening..... ( humidity has been suggested as a possible lens error contributing factor )

I was a bit wary after receiving the repaired camera back , and I've taken about 2500 photos since, with no problem . But I do bring along my Canon S90 as backup, now. I really prefer the S100 for a variety of reasons and I sure hope Canon comes up with a permanent solution for this problem ..... The S100 is too good a camera to saddle with a quality control problem like this. I still marvel at the
image capabilities of this truly pocketable compact...

good luck with your repair , Gail and thank you for all of your helpful advice
regarding Canon cameras.

bruce

-- hide signature --
 Hans Bolte's gear list:Hans Bolte's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JeffNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow