Started Aug 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Fryguy29
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Am I crazy? D70, D90, D5100 and lens questions
Aug 10, 2012

Hello, I am new to DP review. I am an amateur photographer, not a beginner, but do casual photographer. I would consider myself a notch above beginner/novice.

I have a D70 that I bought 7 years ago. It has been a great camera and I was planning on contiuing to use it. I was using the kit 18-70 lens and a 70-300 lens. I have an upcoming trip and realized I wasn't using the camera as much because I HATE changing the lenses. So I walked into my local camera shop intent on buying the new Nikkor 18-300 VR II lens.

When I got to the store, the guy convinced me that I should look at the Tamron 18-270 lens instead as it was $550 vs $1000 for the Nikon. I figured the extra stop at maximum aperture wasn't that necessary since this was a travel lens.

I then asked whether the camera I had was adequate. The guy told me that I would be happier with newer camera and he proceded to show me the d5100 and started singing the praises of the sensor. I do not care about movies. I like the d5100, but it did not have the solid feel of my D70. The camera controls were not the same and t wouldn't work with my 50 mm 1.8 AF prime lens. All that being said, the D70 was long in the tooth and the D5100 was $550, so i decided to buy it.

While I was being rung up, i perused the used case and happened upon a D90. It had more of the feel of the D70 had the controls I liked and I wouldn't have to change my 50 mm lens. THe price was $400 bucks and the camera was in great condition. THe saleman told me the d5100 was a better camera because of the sensor, but I decided on the D90 anyway.

So I went in looking for a Nikon 18-300 lens for my D70 and I left with a D90 with a Tamron 18-270. I am starting to have buyers remorse.

Should I have kept the D70 and gotten the better lens? Will the Tamron be OK? Should I have gotten the D5100 over the D90?

I feel like I should be happier with my purchase, but I am regretting not getting the lens I initially wanted.

Am I crazy? I would really appreciate input. Thanks for your time and sorry the post is long.

Nikon D5100 Nikon D70 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow