ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
entlassen
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
Using Grey Frame Ref Shot as Custom WB
Aug 10, 2012

Hi,

I'm using a Nikon D700 and know that there are two ways to set a custom white balance: (1) by taking a reference shot of a grey card (or expodisc, etc.), then setting that picture as the custom WB via the menus, and then turning the dial to PRE, and (2) by turning the CB dial to "PRE" and setting it directly from there (skipping the grey ref shot as well as any menu navigation).

My question is:

If I do (1), does it matter where my CB dial is set to when I take the grey reference shot?

For example, let's say I take my 1st grey reference shot while dial is set to Auto WB, I go to the menus to set that shot as my CWB ("d0"), and I turn the dial to PRE. Then later in the day I encounter a different lighting situation, and want to take another grey reference shot and set it as my new CWB. If that 2nd grey shot is taken while the dial is still at PRE (using the 1st CWB setting), will up the shot and produce a color cast? In other words, do I need to turn the dial to Auto WB again before taking that 2nd grey reference shot, or does it not matter?

Thanks,
entlassen

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow