Started Aug 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
garyhgaryh
Contributing MemberPosts: 551
Like?
Coating on a Multi-coated UV Filter
Aug 9, 2012

I believe there is a coating on a multi-coated filter which is on the backside, but I'm not absolutely sure.

I bought a Zeikos ZE-UV95 95mm Multi-Coated UV Filter for my Sigma 50-500mm lens. I got a free lens cloth so I took the brand new filter out and noticed it was smudged. Without thinking, I took the free lens cloth and started wiping the front and back sides and I noticed the back side of the filter started to attract the fibers of the mico-fiber cleaning cloth. I noted the cleaning cloth was "made in china" (Oh great I thought). At this time, I realize there is a coating on the lens and I believe the coating is on the lens side of the filter (that's where the hairs of microfiber stuck to the UV filter glass). Since I couldn't get the fibers off, I ran it under water (2nd boneheaded move).

I got the filter clean, BUT I believe I may have removed the coating and there are water marks that is difficult to get rid of (probably due to coating and water interaction).

What have I done (no need to call me an idiot, I already know I am)?
Gary

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow