looking to rent macro nikon 105 vs sigma 150

Started Aug 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
dwa1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,236
Like?
Sigma 150 rocks!
In reply to elihusmails, Aug 9, 2012

Mark,

I have the non-OS version of the Sigma 150. The OS version is supposed to have faster AF than the version I have. The 150 glass is superb.

With regard to shooting nectaring insects, the Sigma is the one to use. The Nikon 105 2.8 VR is also an awesome lens, but you may need to get really close to the small insects to be satisfied with the images.

I shoot a lot of butterflies (swallowtails, monarchs) and other insects like bees, wasps, beetles, clearwing moths, etc. Prior to the Sigma 150, I was using a Nikon 70-300 VR for the butterflies. When they would get too close, I had to switch to my Tamron 90 2.8 macro. But 90mm was too short for most of the shots. Nowadays, if I can get close enough, I prefer to use the Sigma 150. I actually start out each shoot with 2 bodies both mounded with a lens (Sigma 150 and Nikon 70-300 VR). However, when I am in a butterfly house (and if they let you get really close, the Tamron 90 (or Nikon 105) is my lens of choice.

If the upcoming Sigma 180 2.8 Macro was available, I would recommend that over the Sigma 150. So, the reach is important for insects (but not for "big" florals).

Whichever lens that you decide to use, when you get close to your subjects, (as others have mentioned) you'll need to stop the lens down a good bit. I prefer f11 to f16 for bees, wasps, etc. If you need more shutter speed, you can use the Auto ISO feature and then remove any noise in post.

Hope this helps and good luck in your new "macro world".

Wayne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow