D800 vs D700 AF issue

Started Aug 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Comalv
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Re: D800 vs D700 AF issue
In reply to alantan, Aug 9, 2012

alantan wrote:

When I got my D800, I immediately tested for the Left AF issue.

The left sensor works fine with my 35mm f1.4 and 70-200mm VR2 but shows serious front focus with my D800.

Basically the center AF point with the 14-24mm needs -12 while the left most AF poiint needs -20 (still not sharp)

At first I thought this is the famous D800 left focus issue but I got suspicious as my 35mm f1.4 focus perfect with the left focus point.

Today I decided to test the 14-24mm on D700. I just realised that it is also marginally sharper at the center at -10 but the effect is not that obvious due to the much lower pixel count. Probably something I missed previously or maybe my 14-24 got misaligned after years of usage.

The leftmost AF point on the D700 is also totally way off and needs more than -20 fine tune. Something which I have NEVER tested before.

Testing is done by 2 shots per AF setting, D700 rested on a table, normal shutter release.

I don't really know what to make of this... Why would a lens show a left focus point issue?

-- hide signature --

Same thing happened to me (Tamron 28-75 f/2.8). Whether it's decentering, misalignment (are they even 2 different things?) or god knows what, it's defenitely a lens issue if you are fine with a faster but still fairly wide lens (the 35mm).

I'm not saying or even suggesting that everyone that has the AF problem actually has a lens problem. I'm just saying that we do. Of course if people with the problem had a different body to test their lenses with maybe they could confirm where the problem lies (which "might" be the case when after 3+ repairs your tests still fail with your lenses).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow