Problem with 7D v. 2.0 and EOS Utility 2.11.4

Started Aug 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Larry Wallis
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
Re: Problem with 7D v. 2.0 and EOS Utility 2.11.4
In reply to Danga, Aug 9, 2012

Ah! Now I understand! The way you are doing it is different from how I do it. So, in terms of the differences for you, I can’t help because I’ve not done it “your” way before.

But, looking at the web site to which you linked, at step 5 I’m in Live mode, not Quick mode. Then at step 8 I could press the “ON” button just as shown in the link and this does a Live mode focus. This is actually only of slight interest because, obviously, the MFA stuff is with normal focus.

I pretty much follow the ideas in the link, but I use Live mode throughout. I align the centre spot on my selected focus point using the actual camera, not the software so none of those steps are relevant to me. I then focus hovering over the button shown in the picture under step 4. Having focused, I then Press the “Remote Live View shooting” button as shown under step 4, but keep to Live mode, then jump to step 9 (and I DON’T refocus as per step 8) and carry on with the rest of the steps. I then close down the live view windows and put the MFA into the camera. Then repeat all the steps starting with the hover focus under step 4.

I guess if you have been used to doing it the other way, my way will be a bit of a pain because you have to keep opening and closing the live view mode; but if you can put up with it, you can still get the job done. Also, I think step 8 may work in “your” way, because the camera makes noises when you press the button, and seems to refocus, but I agree it doesn’t give the beep. As I’ve only just tried this for the first time, I’m not 100% sure of what it is doing.

Also, they make it sound so easy! In practice, I found that every time I did the hover focus, the camera will focus to slightly different places so I have to do it many times before deciding that, most of the time, it front/back focuses by x. Also, the greater than/less than buttons at step 10 will often move focus by the equivalent of several steps, so one click greater than may need 4 clicks of less than to get back to the original position.

I’m thinking of getting the FoCal software everyone goes on about because spending hours as above is getting irritating!

Sorry for the confusion!

Larry Wallis

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow