yehudakgtbnet
Contributing MemberPosts: 939
Like?
Handshake while using a strobe??????
In reply to Sailor Blue, Aug 9, 2012

Sailor Blue wrote:

Y0GI wrote:

alevin wrote:

This YouTube link is to a 3 part video presented by B&H Photo. A canon rep explains the Canon Auto Focus System. I've had a Rebel, 20D, 40D, and now a 7D. My keepers on the 7D decreased to 50%. Now I know what I was doing wrong. I'm certain my keepers will increase. I've already learned some important pointers on using the 7D. It could help you too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAx86nblZ2g&feature=relmfu

Thanks for the link! I've been looking for that series.

So what was it about the 7D that you learned to correct from the videos?
--
Yogi

I don't know what the OP learned but here is how I went from about 50% tack sharp, 40%-45% pretty sharp, and 5%-10% clearly out of focus to at least 80% tack sharp and 15% pretty sharp. Tack sharp is when I can see sharp eyelash hairs on a waist up studio strobe lit portrait taken with my SP 28-75MM F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) lens on my 7D. Pretty sharp is when I can still see the hairs but they are a bit fuzzy.

I tried matrix AF and quickly realized that using Matrix focus is a sure way to bad focus the majority of the time. I switched to Single Point AF with the AF point on the eye of the subject. I change the AF point to the one that lets me recompose as little as possible.

When I realized that a lot of my images still weren't tack sharp I figured out that as I have gotten older I'm not holding the camera as steady as I used to - a tiny amount of camera shake was causing the loss of sharpness. Simply improving the way I brace my arms against my body and pressing the shutter more gently did the trick.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow