Noise: Canon S100 vs Sony RX100

Started Aug 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
biza43
Senior MemberPosts: 1,693Gear list
Like?
Re: Noise: Canon S100 vs Sony RX100
In reply to howardroark, Aug 9, 2012

howardroark wrote:

You're in a Canon forum extolling the virtues of the Sony RX100 -- of course it's tiring. And the Sony approach to noise reduction in its JPEG images is notoriously deceptive to the uninitiated because they do look so clean and mask the fact that detail has been crucified in the process.

As I have extolled the virtues of the G1X, which I also have. Horses for courses and all that. What I am sure of is that currently, the RX100 is the only pocket size camera that approaches DSLR image quality. For me, that is worth the entry price. Of course one has to know what one is doing with regards to image processing and noise reduction. That is why I use Raw.

What I've seen from the RX100 has been good and I half expect Canon to release a new S1 X that will compete with it....the G and the S have been in lockstep with each other so why not an S version of the G1 X?

They would be mad not to do so. Also, the RX100 just makes the Nikon 1 J1 (or the new J2) obsolete.

Anyway, there is a place for the RX100, but for my money the G1 X is much more valuable than the S100, RX100, or any other camera that sacrifices so much in the name of size. That's just my own personal line in the sand.

I respect that, and no doubt the G1X is a great small camera. But for those wanting excellent image quality in a really small size, well...

Regarding your discussion of film noise with GaryJP, I guess that's really where the viewpoints diverge. I used to shoot film, although it was only for a few years as a novice. Film is not the standard by which most digital shooters judge their cameras now. And if it is, it usually motivates a stronger desire to see less and less noise at higher and higher ISO's. Digital sensors are so much more capable than film. The trick is not forgetting dynamic range or noise or detail when choosing a sensor.

Indeed they are, my point is that people complaining about noise should really go out and shoot a few rolls of film, and then come back and report their findings.
--
http://www.paulobizarro.com

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow