ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Artichoke
Forum ProPosts: 11,791Gear list
Like?
making the best of adversity (5 pics)
Aug 9, 2012

Houston is renowned for its hot summers & this year has not disappointed so far
true to Texan's nature, we celebrate adversity along our patch of the Gulf Coast

Clute was where members of Stephen Austin's original Anglo colony settled in 1824

situated some 50 miles south of Houston, Clute is adjacent to some of the world's largest chemical plants, which seem to further promote the abundant verdure that compelled its early settlers to put up with its alligators, poisonous snakes & mosquitos, which now the town celebrates with The Great Texas Mosquito Festival , now in its 31st year
here is Willie Man Chew, the mascot of the Festival

the only skeeter I encountered during my too brief visit

horseshoes & washer pitching are serious sport in Clute

I was amazed at the number of tosses competitors were able to get in the hole & these guys were only warming up! Lots of strategy going on as well in these sports which create a fine excuse for drinking beer on a hot day

the GTMF has a midway, which seems more extreme than the ones we typically get in Houston

HL Mencken dissed our fair town when he was compelled to cover the 1928 Democratic Convention, complaining bitterly about our heat which may have been tempered a tad by his distaste for Al Smith, the Presidential candidate it produced or his taste for beer, threatened by the prominence of pro-Prohibition Dems

holding a summer convention in pre air conditioning Houston took gumption, something Texans are not known to lack

now we have adapted a New Orleans summer fete, White Linen Night, in celebration of summer's swelter, commerce & Art

a fine performance group

one of the dancers cooling off in front of the BlizzardBlaster, a nifty portable outdoor cooler developed in Austin

a young model gracing items from a resale shop

don't know that this is linen, but it sure looks cool

I think the image quality is superb, especially given the shooting circumstances, but to appreciate these, they should be seen at the much larger size I have available here ----------> http://www.pbase.com/artichoke/m8&page=46 & here -------> http://www.pbase.com/artichoke/m8&page=80 along with others from Houston's summer festivities & shooting information
hope you like
--
--
pbase & dpreview supporter
DPR forum member since 5/2001
http://www.pbase.com/artichoke

"Avoid making a commotion, just as you wouldn’t stir up the water before fishing. Don’t use a flash out of respect for the natural lighting, even when there isn’t any. If these rules aren’t followed, the photographer becomes unbearably obtrusive" -- attributed to HCB

Artichoke's gear list:Artichoke's gear list
Agfa ePhoto 1680 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Leica M8 Nikon D3X Leica M9 +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow