Flat view
mathOS
Regular MemberPosts: 226Gear list
Like?
Travel kit : don't forget your 16mm pancake lens
Aug 9, 2012

Hi,

I'm back from a 15 days trip in the US.

My travel kit was NX10 + 16 + 30 + Canon FD 135 f2.8. I didn't anticipate it, but most of my shots were taken with the 16mm.

From my experience, the 30mm looks sharper (it is fantastic), but the 16mm is definitely good also. Note that I didn't experience any problem with field curvature.

Obviously, the 16mm is the one for wide angle shots (first picture). Using a stitching software (here, Microsoft ICE), you can even easily go ultra-wide (second picture).

But the real surprise was for me that I felt more comfortable with the 16 than with the 30 for Street Photography (third picture). The point is that since I didn't have a lot of time for the "move your feet" way of zooming, I preferred having a little more in the frame (I don't print in A2 size so I'm not afraid of cropping).

Thanks for reading my two cents worth experience. I wanted to give justice to the not always well-reviewed 16mm pancake lens

PS : Please excuse my approximative use of English.

-- hide signature --
 mathOS's gear list:mathOS's gear list
Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samyang 12mm 1:2.0 NCS CS +5 more
Samsung NX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow