My Nikon D4 has focusing issues (soft focus and AF-C is off)

Started Aug 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
russbarnes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,081Gear list
Like?
Re: My Nikon D4 has focusing issues (soft focus and AF-C is off)
In reply to astaud, Aug 9, 2012

Frankly your image settings are all over the place. You need to go back to the drawing board and think about what you're doing. It's not your camera.

Shooting a test, presumably hand held, at ISO100 and 1/50 with f/16 shows that you don't know the first thing about your lens or how to test your camera.

astaud wrote:

Hey guys,

I finally got my D4 and had some time to play with it. Plunked down a huge chunk of change so I'm really frustrated because the AF-C is horrifyingly inaccurate and my focus seems really soft in all of my images - even on a tripod, even at f16, with every lens I own (50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, and 20mm 2.8). Could someone please help me or advise me what to do? I've never experienced anything like this, but I know something is off. I have no idea how to test my focus or if I should send it to Nikon. Both my D70s and my D700 produced razor sharp images. I never even questioned them.

In the first shot I put the center focus point on my nephew's eye. Shot at ISO 100, f16, 1/125th. Told him to open his eyes wide so you could see how soft it looks:

Second image is one I shot for ebay:

I focused on the lettering on the wheel

Can anyone help me?

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow