Started Aug 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
alantan
Contributing MemberPosts: 603Gear list
Like?
D800 vs D700 AF issue
Aug 8, 2012

When I got my D800, I immediately tested for the Left AF issue.

The left sensor works fine with my 35mm f1.4 and 70-200mm VR2 but shows serious front focus with my D800.

Basically the center AF point with the 14-24mm needs -12 while the left most AF poiint needs -20 (still not sharp)

At first I thought this is the famous D800 left focus issue but I got suspicious as my 35mm f1.4 focus perfect with the left focus point.

Today I decided to test the 14-24mm on D700. I just realised that it is also marginally sharper at the center at -10 but the effect is not that obvious due to the much lower pixel count. Probably something I missed previously or maybe my 14-24 got misaligned after years of usage.

The leftmost AF point on the D700 is also totally way off and needs more than -20 fine tune. Something which I have NEVER tested before.

Testing is done by 2 shots per AF setting, D700 rested on a table, normal shutter release.

I don't really know what to make of this... Why would a lens show a left focus point issue?

-- hide signature --
 alantan's gear list:alantan's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow