Started Aug 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mhammon
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?
What is the D800 AF test procedure?
Aug 8, 2012

OK, I need some help here. I received my new D800 from Cameta last week and want to test for the left AF issue, but there are so many different processes, charts, and ideas on here that it's very confusing to know what procedure to use. Also, I want to use one, which Nikon will accept as valid, if I have to send it in for re-calibration.

So,
1- Which chart should I use? Thom's bars? L. Sheppard's?, the Siemens star?

2- Thom says that the problem is most prominent at wider angles, so I plan to use my 24-70 f2.8 wide open and tests at 24, 35, and 50mm, on a tripod with the center post not extended, and with a 2 second exposure delay, center metering, and AF-S. Distance to the target will be about 2-3m.

3- As I understand it, for both LV and AF test images, I focus on the chart using the center focus point (manually for LV and automatically for AF), move the camera to the right or left, keeping the distance from the target constant, and focus on the target using the left and right points. I say move the camera, because I'm using only one chart. If I use three, maybe I don't need to move the camera/tripod set up.

4- Compare LV to AF results and see if the left focus point is the same or worse in AF than that focused manually in LV.

In tests earlier today, I viewed the images in LR4 and had to use 4:1 magnification to place the chart in the center of the screen.

Does that sound right?

Thanks for the help,
Mike

mhammon's gear list:mhammon's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow