Quick review / comparison of Sirui T-025 and Sirui T-1205X

Started Jul 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
dodgyexposure
Regular MemberPosts: 235Gear list
Like?
Re: Quick review / comparison of Sirui T-025 and Sirui T-1205X
In reply to RSColo, Aug 8, 2012

RSColo wrote:

OP, I hope you are still tracking this thread. Do you know how large (diameter) a head can be put on the 1205 and still fold the legs up around it? I am looking at a different brand of head that has a 60mm diameter base.

Thanks
--
Reid Shay
http://www.sawatchpub.com

From my internet research, your 60mm base diameter ball head won't fit any of the travel tripods with fold up legs, that have a center column, and where the head fits within the legs (that's most of the compact travel tripods). I have looked, because I have a Markins Q10 that I want to use (which has a base diameter of 62mm).

The exceptions, to my knowledge, are the Gitzo 1542T (where the head extends beyond the fodled legs - compromising folded length) or those lacking a centre column but having a large baseplate (like the Feisol tournament class tripods). In either case, you are losing compactness (folded length in the case of the gitzo, folded diameter (and maximum standing height) in the case of the Feisol.

Most of the folding travel tripods limit the base diameter of the head that you can use. For most of them, roughly 50mm (like a Markins Q3T) is the maximum diameter for straight folding legs, but some can take heads with diameters a few mm larger, with the legs slightly splayed.

Personally, I'm trying to decide whether to go for the Feisol tournament and use my Q10, or get a more compact leg and head combination - I think that you will have to make the same decision.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Damien

dodgyexposure's gear list:dodgyexposure's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow