ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BengtS
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?
7d with firmware v2 - AF - first impressions
Aug 8, 2012

Just updated to firmware v2. Here are my first impressions:

After updating, it seems that the AF system is working differently compared version 1.2.5. I used to have to focus twice to be sure to get a good sharpness, now the AF locks on the first try! It seems to me, that during the movement of the focus, the AF is now active and corrects for any inaccuracies. In version 1.2.5 it seemed to me that the AF was done once and then the focus was moved, but not checked after reaching the focusing position.

Also AI Servo seems to work more consistently now than before. Still, I have not tried it yet with moving objects, only by focusing on different static objects. I will try with moving objects tomorrow.

Has anybody else noticed the increased consistency of the AF? I do not know yet if also the accuracy is better, but it seems likely. I have to test more tomorrow.

I have also noticed that some lenses need much less MFA than before. All of them are original Canon lenses. In those cases, the MFA is now 0 or almost 0. It seems to me that there is a database in the camera, which controls how the focusing should work. That database was probably updated with the new firmware.

All in all, I am very happy with the update!

-- hide signature --

BengtS

Canon EOS 7D Nikon 1 V2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow