Started Aug 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gingerbaker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,495Gear list
Like?
D7000 focus/shutter issue
Aug 8, 2012

I have a friend who I am helping learn about her Nikon D7000, and I can't seem to get her camera to work the way my Canon 5D works. Hoping someone here can give my some advice.

We are trying to set up her camera so that in Aperture Shooting mode, using AF-s focus mode for static subjects, the AF is done by using the AE-L/AF-L button on the back of the camera instead of the shutter button. This we have accomplished, but there is a problem:

The shutter would not fire under certain mysterious conditions when the round focus indicator (bottom left in viewfinder) would disappear and be replaced by arrows. To remedy this, I changed the AF-S priority custom setting to "Release". Now the camera will focus where I want using the rear AF-L button, and will fire regardless of whatever conditions caused the shutter to freeze previously - but we have lost the shutter confirmation beep sound.

Is it possible to have the camera focus using the AF-L button, shoot all the time AND have the focus confirmation beep working? For what reason does the camera, if it is in AF-S priority "Focus" (as opposed to "Release") refuse to fire? I mean, I just focused the lens, and got a confirmation focus beep. Then, I recomposed the shot, but sometimes the camera would fire, sometimes not. Why?

Thanks for any advice you may have for me.
--
Gingerbaker

http://gingerbaker.smugmug.com/

gingerbaker's gear list:gingerbaker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +2 more
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow