Leica

Started Jul 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
alexaqui
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Re: Leica
In reply to Light Pilgrim, Aug 8, 2012

I purchased a Leica M9 and a 35mm 2.0 lens last year. It was an incredibly expensive purchase that I have never regretted. For reference, I also own a Leica D-Lux 4 and an older Cannon 20D with 24-70 2.8L.

There are three reasons why I purchased the Leica:

-Portability: The Leica is incredibly lightweight and small for what it can do. I felt completely liberated from lugging around my heavy, large EOS system. As a result, on my 6 week honeymoon trip last year, it was never an issue to have the camera handy at all times.

-Engagement: The manual rangefinder makes you stop and think about what you are doing. The number of good photos increased dramatically as compared to my DSLR usage (I shoot in manual on the DSLR as well). I don't find the manual focus an issue either, unless shooting fast moving objects.

-Image quality: To my eye, on my 30" display, there is something about the way the Leica produces the image that is different from what other cameras can produce. Professional prints are stunning.

Sure, there are a lot of other very good cameras out there. I am not a pro; I just enjoy the hobby and tend to decorate the house with large prints that are professionally framed. I find that the Leica has made me enjoy photography more. It has also made me a better photographer in general; I am exploring upgrading my 20D to the 5d Mk2, which is why I am on this board.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
:-)New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow