About D800' AF issue, some info I got...

Started Aug 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
gl2k
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,232
Like?
Re: About D800' AF issue, some info I got...
In reply to Julian Vrieslander, Aug 8, 2012

Julian Vrieslander wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

sbill wrote:

"AF testing should be done on tripod, remote, with mirror up and exposure delay. "

How can you shoot with mirror up and still use the Phase AF? I wonder!
Bill

Simple, lock AF and do it, what's the issue? The level of accuracy people are requiring of the D800's AF at 100% can only be checked if your quote is followed, no doubt. I would love to see someone shooting handheld showing a difference between central and peripheral points at f/1.4 with any lens, at normal shooting speeds.

Depends on the camera. I had a D800 with the wonky left AF sensor problem. I verified this by careful tests with tripod, Mup, etc. But the focus errors from the left sensor were so bad that I could see the blurring in hand held shots at f/1.4 or f/2.8 with multiple lenses. If I compared results with the central sensor, or Live View focusing at the same position, the difference was easily visible, even on the camera's monitor screen.

I saved the shots made in the controlled tests, but I did not save the hand held test shots. Here's a crop from one of the shots on tripod:

http://julianv.zenfolio.com/p260391664/h19b7ebb7#h19b7ebb7

Follow the links for more info about the testing method.

That D800 was returned to the dealer. I now have a D800E, which also shows AF errors on the left side, but of a lesser magnitude.

Fully agree. I tested 3 (!!!) D800(e)s and the AF error is so severe that even hand held shots show them.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow