Started Aug 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jigsawn
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Need some help with Golden Hour photography
Aug 8, 2012

Had my first attempt at golden hour photography yesterday and I have some questions for improvement from you experienced folks!

In this one, although I used a tripod, f22 and used a manual focus point, the land isn't sharp enough. I tried to focus a third into the scene but firstly, the ground drops away steeply from my position and up again into a valley, and secondly there is such a small amount of land in the scene I wasn't sure how to deal with it. Where should I have focussed for a shot like this to get it all sharp?

In this shot I was having big problems with my very long shadow and the tripod's shadow getting in the way, but I couldn't change the angle to get the shot I wanted. In the end I've cropped it out. I presume the best way to deal with this is to use telescopic lenses? Also, the building doesn't look sharp. This was ISO 400, is that why? I again tried to focus a third into the scene but again there was hardly any ground to use for this.

An unexpected result of f13 I still got a starburst effect from the sun. However there's some lens flare. As I was looking directly at the sun would a lens hood have prevented this?

Here the sun was almost gone. I couldn't get the ground to be bright enough. Using exposure compensation in post processing doesn't work as it blows out the cloud detail. Is this a case where I should have used a graduated filter? Anything else I could have done to get the exposure balanced for this shot?

As you can see the clouds were most impressive when the sun had actually dissappeared. But then the ground is so dark you can't use it. The only shots I can recall seeing online in these kind of conditions are beach shots. When else can you get a foreground with enough light in these conditions?

Thanks for any pointers

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow