ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tdon123
Forum MemberPosts: 60Gear list
Like?
Advice on next step/ normal Lens for OMD
Aug 8, 2012

Filterman et al;

For one not given to hyperbole, needless to say, I was flabbergasted yesterday morning at my test results with the Panasonic 25f1.4 lens. As you all may recall, I was puzzled by my LCD jumping when I acquired focus on my Oly OMD.

And I was equally puzzled why I was not getting sharp eyelashes on several 3/4 body shots when I had the focus points properly placed.....Last Sunday at a Batismal shoot.

In any case, I took several images, comparing my OLy 45 to the Pany 25 f1.4, using a rather colorful Tea box with a lot of micro/detail. At 100% viewing, the Pany 25f1.4 micro/detail was "mush"! And the Oly 45 micro/detail was maximum clarity!

And I varied ISO in order to get shutter speeds up from 1/80 second, thus avoiding any IBIS "quirks"......hopefully!

Then, I remembered Filtermans suggestion of using manual focus where there was no LCD "jump". So I compared the Pany 25f1.4, using manual focus and S-AF, where the LCD always "jumped"......guess what.....manual focus optimal micro/detail and every S-AF shot.......mush!

I have no idea how the LCD "jumping" causes micro/detail mush on the Pany 25f1.4 lens: but it does and I sent the lens back yesterday........plenty disappointed!

I know it must come down to a compatibility issue between Panasonic and Olympus; but, that is just plain wrong....wrong....stupid!

Oh well, now how to fill that normal lens void;(

Should I try another Pany 25f1.4 lens? Just how endemic is this "jumping" LCD screen with an OMD body. Should I wait for the rumored Oly 25f1.8.....to be announced at Photokina.

Or what? From a reasonably frustrated new OMD user;)

Tdon123's gear list:Tdon123's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow