ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JimFromDenmark
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
D800 - Can't get sharp images - focus woes
Aug 8, 2012

Hello all,

I'm on my 2nd D800 now, as the first was really bad. This unit seems fine, but I'm really struggling to get sharp images

First I've shot a focus chart I have on hanging on my wall, just handheld @ 1/500, please see the images below. I've tried both the the viewfinder and LiveView, but there don't seem to be any difference between the images, that's good right??

The center is obviously very sharp, but right and left are soft, is this normal?

And yes they're handheld, but I've shot hundreds of shots on a sturdy tripod, with the same outcome. I've also tried Reikan FoCal, which seems to be a nice piece of software. Trying with the 50mm/1.4G in FoCal's AF-Fine tune test, I don't need to fine tune that lens at all(according to the software), so that's been disabled in the D800's menu.

Test charts are one thing, but when using the camera I'm not impressed with the focus. I'm shooting a minimum of 1/160 sec shutter speed on the 50mm/1.4G. Allowing ISO to rise, when needed. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or maybe I've caught the "focus issues" disease See an image below @ 100% crop, do you find it sharp? This is just one image of a series of 35 shots, none of which are better in focus, than the one below.

I'm lost and don't know what to do next. I don't think I have the left focus issue, and in general, none of my lenses need AF-Fine tune, so it looks like I have a good copy of the D800. Any advise on how to diagnose the issue, would be much appreciated.

Jim

JimFromDenmark's gear list:JimFromDenmark's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow