Started Aug 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Photorer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,343Gear list
Like?
A77 and RAW workflows
Aug 8, 2012

Right - now how do you deal with your workflow?

In my past experience, even with the A700, the file sizes were not too much of a problem - I managed to keep going quite nicely with taking RAW + Jpeg. RAW was there to restore lost image data, and was used when there was an important shoot, but otherwise was really just there as a "safety mechanism" if the exposure was totally out of whack. I use LR3.6 to process from RAW, and it works fine until the resizing to 1200px - you get artefacts - I guess I need to try out LR4!

Trying the same approach with the A77 just does not work, because of the hard drive real estate that the files take up. I have now run out of space on my laptop's HDD, and have not even processed the images I have taken recently! I now have my RAW files on an external USB drive, with the processed (or jpg) images on the laptop - I like to be able to look at and show off my images.

I re-size images on a regular basis, using either Faststone or Image Converter Plus (because they will take a folder and batch resize the jpgs while I sleep at night). The original jpgs and RAW files get cut to DVD for archiving, but I have run out of room to do this now! OK - I can get a larger HDD, or move them to an external USB, but that is Major PT....

Backups are now also becoming a problem, because the backup drives are also filling up!

Any suggestions? What do you do with the A77's files?

-- hide signature --

Still not enough time to take pictures....... Is there ever?
http://www.afripixel.com/

Photorer's gear list:Photorer's gear list
Sony SLT-A77
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow