Help with flash exposure needed...

Started Aug 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Zec_
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?
Re: You need to set the 380EX for High Speed Sync.
In reply to AnthonyL, Aug 8, 2012

AnthonyL wrote:

You haven't said what metering you are using. Av will attempt the correct exposure time and then yes, flash fill should then fill in the gaps. But the flash will still meter I believe in accordance with what the camera is metering off, so if you have spot metering (specific subject) you will have a different result to evaluative metering (whole scene).

Metering was in evaluative mode, my idea was to meter for the whole scene and than let the flash do the filling for people... exif example:

File Name IMG_2062.CR2
Camera Model Canon EOS 1000D
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/80
Av( Aperture Value ) 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering

In a article you recommended it says that with 20d you can manipulate how the flash exposure is metered - but there is no such option with 1000d I can find in my manual. Also it does not mention if flash follows camera metering mode or not.

Still, even with 20d the default is Evaluative Ambient / Evaluative Flash, so this is perhaps most probable in my shot (?)

I take a lot of flash at 1/200th so that I minimize movement (if people), and say f/8 for sharpness and then just let the ETTL flash work the rest out for itself, maybe dialling in a bit of compensation if the result is not pleasing.

I'll confess to rarely being able to get as consistent a result if using fill-flash eg in Av mode but certainly not as bad as your examples. My metering is usually spot or centre-weighted.

Maybe I should try centre-weighted metering... but it seems contra intuitive when I am trying to get ambient exposed correctly and people filled in.

also Lemming51 suggested faulty connection between flash and camera may be responsible:

EX speedlites can sometimes that set themselves to TTL and fire at full when the connection in the hotshoe is not complete. Those with an LCD display (like the 420EX) will display "TTL" instead of "ETTL" to indicate this error. The 380EX does not have this display, so this cannot be verified directly.

I would like to be able to use flash, right now images are unusuable...
Thank you for your help, all tips are most welcome!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow