Started Aug 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cafenated
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Rokinon/Samyang focus adjustment
Aug 8, 2012

There are a few threads on this scattered about the camera specific forums, but my experience has been as follows:

MFD is something like 5 feet out of the box at f/3.5. At F11 I can get to the 1 feet or so advertised. Infinity blurry above 3 feet on the scale.

While skeptical, I went ahead and pulled back the rubber focus grip, and adjusted the focus mechanism by loosening the 3 1.2 mm screws so what was infinity is now 1.8m

Sure enough it now focuses accurately at 1 ft even at f/3.5, and infinity. At f 5.6 and up this is incredibly sharp to the corners. I also cut off the hood petals to use on the d800, and no flare issues here whatsoever. Really glad I kept it and got it proper vs resale. I'm not seeing focus shift, just seems it was grossly miscalibrated out of the box. Wish I did this way earlier as I wondered why my infinity shots at Yosemite were so soft last year....

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow