Most satisfying Canon SX40 Photo

Started Aug 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,449Gear list
Like?
Re: Most satisfying Canon SX40 Photo
In reply to tonyinport, Aug 8, 2012

While I currently think that a number of images I've already taken may someday be runners up or honorable mentions to the future best image my SX40 will hopefully produce, I do have one that is quite satisfying in that I never would have captured it at all without a camera like the SX40.

The subject was over 100 yards away and mostly hidden by the branches of many trees. I was balancing myself on a rock ledge on the side of a ridge, looking down into a ravine to see it. Couldn't use a tripod up there, so the camera was handheld at full zoom with the 2.0 TC engaged for a 1680mm equiv focal length. Because of the cameras ergonomics and features, I was not only able to acquire the subject, but get a decent focus lock as well. Squeezed off five images, the third one (below) being the best of the set. Now this slightly cropped image is not technically great by any means. But it is very satisfying to have captured a redtail hawk tending its eggs in a nest near the top of a tree, while perched even higher above that nest myself.

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow