D600 with 51point AF...

Started Aug 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jim Keye
Senior MemberPosts: 1,550
Like?
Re: In a parallel universe, maybe
In reply to FFBob, Aug 8, 2012

FFBob wrote:

I truly doubt if that is the result a company like Nikon would want.

I doubt it too, and I'm not suggesting that nikon didn't screw up the D800 release. Thom pretty much nailed it. But the fact of the matter is that a lot of serious nikon users have a long history, not just a one-camera moment. And a lot of D800 purchasers aren't these people. They're MP chasers, gotta have the latest and greatest kind of users who will purchase far more MPs than they can use, use lenses that won't even maximize it, and who's AF issues would have been unknown to them if someone else hadn't pointed it out.

Nikon hasn't done it all perfectly over the years, not by a long shot. But the other major brand? Issues with their AF in one of their top-end bodies and couldn't even fix it. Yeah, oh, nikon, OMG, the sky is falling! As usual, these forums are filled with far more reaction than rational thought.

Should nikon have handled this better? OF COURSE! But the remind-me-which-end-to-hold, bigger-wallet-than-brains people who perpetually post here aren't entirely indicative of what's going on either. Look at how many D800 posters on this forum can't figure out how use AF fine tune. Not that that's related, but it is entirely indicative of how something relatively simple in concept but also requiring considerable attention to detail in execution is beyond them. Yep--you clearly bought the right camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow