Why I think the TG-1 is the best outdoor compact - even for video

Started Aug 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
alexzn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,572
Like?
Re: Why I think the TG-1 is the best outdoor compact - even for video
In reply to GilCatt, Aug 7, 2012

Gee, such strong opinions here... I'll add my 0.02c. Most people use their camera in places that don't require a waterproof P/S, or they just as easily can get by with a non-waterproof P/S. In those cases the tradeoff on image quality you get with the current waterproofs may not be worth it. And if you care enough about your UW pictures to spend money on them, you can get a housing (or a housing for your DSLR if you care that much). Somehow, the diving community is always excited about cameras such as XZ-1, S100, or the new RX100 and almost never about the "toughs", probably because of the comparatively lousy IQ from the said "toughs". I wish some people were not so defensive about their purchases, its their money everyone makes a choice that suits their particular situation. It's all fine as long as you understand the compromises and are realistic about their requirements. It's ridiculous to buy a waterproof camera because you occasionally shoot in a drizzle, or take your camera skiing. But if you regularly sail, kayak, or surf, then a waterproof is a great choice. I just wish the next generation of those "toughs" uses better lenses and bigger sensors.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow