could use help with Sony 70-400 "G" lens

Started Aug 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kriekira
Senior MemberPosts: 2,185Gear list
Like?
Re: thanks y'all
In reply to SerdarA, Aug 7, 2012

... and I'll add: consider a monopod . This will, admittedly, add to the weight, but it will balance the lens+camera. IME (I have used this lens extensively, on a850 w. VG), carrying a balanced weight long distances is much easier than carrying a heavy graceless bulk. The monopod also gives you additional carrying positions (e.g.: over the shoulder). And, of course, a monopod is good to have for general stability, and especially if you are fatigued from hiking.

I use and recommend the Manfrotto Neo-tec monopod (also heavy, alas).

I do carry the camera+lens on my Black Rapid strap, but that's for city walks, and not for hiking. If you plan to carry it on strap and you use a VG, I recommend fashioning a loop of camera-strap that goes through the strap-slot on the VG. Snap the strap to this, and you won't be limited in your use of either grip.

The lens is an unending joy. You'll soon discover that it does OK for close-ups: at minimum focus distance you can get a good shot of a dragonfly or similar.

If the lens you have exhibits any zoom creep, use a big rubber band (or similar).

Kriekira's gear list:Kriekira's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1R Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow