What results are you getting in Reikan FoCal Pro? (D800)

Started Aug 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Joe Porto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,008Gear list
Like?
Re: I posed that very question to FoCal
In reply to Teleboy, Aug 7, 2012

Yes, your numbers are low, especially with direct sunlight. What is the lens you are using? I wouldn't draw conclusions about the camera before at least testing it with several lenses, and seeing similar issues with the same focus points across all lenses tested. Zooms can be problematic when evaluating focus symmetry. Even the 70-200mm f/2.8 has been documented to favor one side as far as sharpness.

Also, some lenses simply aren't sharp wide open...the 50mm 1/4 for instance. You may want to stop the lens down a bit to at least give the software an adequate baseline to evaluate.

Thanks, and let me know if anyone needs more information.

I'm not impressed by these results. The range is poor. Focal seems to suggest that 0.5 is the threshold at which a problem (only) "could" be indicated. Looking at the quality of a 0.5 focus point reveals unacceptable quality by any measure...on my camera at least.

T.

Joe Porto's gear list:Joe Porto's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow