Started Aug 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
photogKAC
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
NEW 18-135mm STM Lens BETTER than 24-70mm f/2.8L??? PHOTOS
Aug 7, 2012

I am doing some testing with my new EOS Rebel T4i and comparing the performance of a number of different lenses. The two lenses that I am particularly focusing on are:

(1) NEW EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
(2) EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM (NOT Model II)

The surprising result that I keep achieving is that the newer, and much cheaper, 18-135 STM lens performs as good as or better than the L lens. I kind of expected this under low light conditions, as the new STM lens has IS and my L lens does not. However, I fully expected the L lens to outperform my new STM kit lens under brighter conditions.

Attached are screenshots of two images, one taken with the 18-135 STM lens and the other with the 24-70L. Settings for both are:

ISO 100
f / 5.0
1/400 sec

The STM lens was at 67 mm and the L lens was at 70 mm -- close enough, right? I shot a number of photos at these settings, and I chose the best image taken by each. I would rate the photographs almost identical in sharpness and clarity, but I give the STM lens the victory because of the absence of CA -- you can really see the CA on the right side of the bumper with the L lens.

I understand that this scenario is just one of innumerable comparison scenarios, but how is this possible -- a kit lens as good as or better than an L lens? Is this as surprising to anyone else as it is to me?

screen-capture-19 is the STM lens
screen-capture-20 is the L lens

Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow