Started Aug 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,894Gear list
Like?
Re: I was wrong !
In reply to Detail Man, Aug 7, 2012

Detail Man wrote:

gollywop wrote:

DM, I just tested the OM-D spot metering, and it meters what is in the center of the frame. It does not follow the focus point.

Here's what the manual says:

Choose this option to meter a small area
(about 2% of the frame) with the camera
pointed at the object you wish to meter.
Exposure will be adjusted according to the
brightness at the metered point.

Thank you for the information. Good to know. Does not sound very useful, though. If I recall, the GH2 can move the Spot Metering area together with the Spot AF Point - though I have seen some express some frustration as to how to go about that. As I almost always use Center Weighted metering with my GH2, I have not investigated that stuff - but posts exist to be found.

The implications of the E-M5 information is that the Spot metering Area (as well as the Spot AF Area, as it happened) was pretty much dead in the middle of the image frame in the case of LTZ470 's shot of the US Navy jets. Do you know the relative size of the Spot AF and Spot Metering areas ? They would both have to be fairly large to have covered more than the blue sky.

1) you can't know for sure : if he used the focus/meter and reframe technique, which is quite common, it could be anywhere in the frame, or even out of the frame.

2) having the spot meter in the center is a non issue, you can just use the meter and reframe technique, it is a simple movement of the wrist, much easier than moving a argent in the VF with the directional arrows, or on the LCD.

3) as a side note, when face detection is activated, the spot meter is activated at the same time and the reading then is made on the face.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow