T2i + ......

Started Aug 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
JMasterJ
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
Re: T2i + ......
In reply to ptl-2010, Aug 7, 2012

Right, I'll have about 5-6ft, + - a couple of feet to shoot, so I understand what u r saying. BUT, I am not really looking to get more than the whole body in the frame... remember this is a product shot, and I'd be happy if I can JUST fit the whole girl in the frame with no bg/environment, and most will actually be zoomed into just areas like between the mid-section and upper thigh etc.... so the real question is for

18-55mm IS vs 50mm f1.8:
1. Will either do well as an "all-purpose" lens for photo and video?

2. How much/what advantage would I notice in the quality of the photo using the 50mm for these intimate shots, ie, is it "worth it" (I understand that may be subjective but just let me know your opinion if u can)

And used, ya, always risky esp for sensitive electronics... So I figure if whatever I buy is something more of a "general purpose" as well, then I'll just buy it new and bite the bullet.

Thanks!

ptl-2010 wrote:

At 12x12 you won't have a lot of room to work with. You will need a wide angle lens, like the 18-55mm IS. The 50mm f1.8 would be good for close ups and medium shots but you won't get a whole lot in frame. The great thing is the 18-55 IS is cheap, only $180 new. It's also a sharp little lens, After that you'd have to look at the 17-40 f4 L or the 17-55 f2.8 to see any big difference in IQ.

Buying used is always risky no matter where you buy from. You have no idea how the equipment was treated before you got it. You also have to remember people lie, and it's not that hard when you do it over the phone or email. That's why it's best to handle and test equipment before you actually make a purchase. Either way I wouldn't say it's a bad idea, it's just a risk you have to take.

For the lens, if you get the 18-55 be sure you get the latest IS version, it's by far the best of the lot.
--
-Paul

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow