Started Aug 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cmantx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,246Gear list
Like?
Sony 70-300 SSM G question
Aug 7, 2012

I'm considering getting a Sony 70-300 SSM G for use with extension tubes as a marco/closeup lens for insects such as dragonflys and butterflys. I am using kenko tubes with my tamron 200-500 at the moment. The shots have been fairly good except that with 2 or more of the tubes attached and the lens won't Manually Focus. The focus ring won't turn, or barely turns, not smoothly. I've been able to get it to work using AF to get close to focus, then switching to MF and turning the barrel, (changing focal length to achieive sharp focus. Light has to be optimum for the lens to pinpont AF with the Tamron when connected to the tubes. The Tamron is not really suited to do this though I've gotten a few nice shots using it this way.

Has anyone used the Sony 70-300 SSM G with extension tubes? If so how well did they work? Thanks in advance for any info.

cmantx's gear list:cmantx's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A500 Sony SLT-A57 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow