Started Aug 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Buzz Lightyear
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?
Lumix FZ200 or Sony SLT A57?
Aug 6, 2012

I've just been getting into photography a lot more seriously this past year, but have so much to learn yet. I do a lot of videography, and given my limited budget 6 months ago, I bought a Sony Cyber Shot HX100V, mainly for the excellent video capabilities and the built-in super zoom. To make a long story short, I sold the Cyber Shot because I need a more capable camera. I am on the purchase waiting list for the Panasonic Lumix FZ200, but I'm wondering if the Sony SLT A57 would be a better choice? Being able to shoot at f2.8 all the way out to the zoom max on the FZ200 is appealing, especially since I do a lot of video. However, I am also doing a lot more individual photo shooting, so I'm wondering if the bigger sensor SLR Sony (which also has great video capabilities) would be worth the $200 more I'd have to pay? My biggest "con" against the Sony is having to carrying around a bunch of extra lenses.

I know the Panasonic has not been released yet, but some of the pre-production hype has my mouth watering -- yet what do I really know? I am hoping anyone here with a lot more experience with equipment can give my any insights on what the differences between these two cameras might be. Thanks for any help.

Buzz Lightyear's gear list:Buzz Lightyear's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
A57New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow