Why not always shoot wide open with m4/3s?

Started Aug 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
RoyGBiv
Senior MemberPosts: 1,956
Like?
Sometimes not enough DoF
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Aug 6, 2012

mpgxsvcd wrote:

I have seen a lot of m4/3s pictures lately where the apertures are intentionally stopped down to F10 and smaller. Is there ever a good reason to do that with m4/3s?

Most of the m4/3s lenses are designed to be at least moderately sharp wide open and almost all of them are sharp across the lens within 1 stop of wide open.

The broad depth of field of m4/3s is often cited as one of its weaknesses. So why are people stopping the already slow m4/3s zoom lenses down?

Personally, I had a scenario in which I wished I could reach a much deeper DoF than the lens was giving me. Here, for example, I was really kind of hoping I could shoot the buildings in the background clearly, and have my friends in focus too. I attempted a bunch of tight apertures from f/8 on up to f/22. None of them adequately rendered both my friends and the buildings in crisp focus.

My original ambition was to have you be able to look at the picture and say "oh, yeah, that's them in front of the Capitol," of course. Instead...I got them...and possibly the capitol...but possibly some other domed building.

Here's a moment where I wished I had deeper DoF.

-- hide signature --

'I have no responsibilities here whatsoever'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow